Wednesday, May 16, 2007

To Nepal......


These past few years Sara and I have been busy going back and forth from Newfoundland to India and Nepal for Buddhist retreats, yoga courses and to do volunteer work.

Last year my Buddhist teacher, Thrangu Rinpoche, asked me to help in the planning and operation of a new medical facility at Namo Buddha, Nepal. I was delighted at this opportunity since it allows me to combine my medical and Buddhist interests to help people with profound need. In addition, it is a privilege to be able to work for Thrangu Rinpoche, a renowned Tibetan Buddhist scholar and meditation master.

So now we are moving to Nepal and we have created this blogsite, "sowahealth", so that you will be able to follow our work there once we get settled. Sowa is a Tibetan word that means "healing". This title suggested by our teacher embraces the Buddhist principles of compassion, altruism and peace.

Below I have posted some information about the new hospital where I will be working. I have also included details about how you can help this project through donations of money, medications, supplies, and equipment. Or, if you work in the health care industry, then you could volunteer your time (in the near future)!